The birth of your baby is a profound experience which will impact you all your life. My goal as your midwife is listen and observe, look for and guard ʻnormalʼ and help you have the safest and most satisfying birth experience. This unique midwiveʼs model of care has been shown to lower the number of cesarean sections, instrument assisted births, episiotomies and induction of labor. For the low risk woman, birth at home has shown statistically to be as safe as birth in hospital. One of the biggest differences is interventions. In your own home, you relax and labor following your own instincts and plans and not protocol.
Prenatal visits are informal and comfortably done at my home office. It is typical to have one or two visits at your home later in pregnancy. My office is very child friendly so please bring siblings to your prenatal visits!
- Free Initial consult
- Prenatal Care-visits average 30-60 minutes so there’s plenty of time to ask questions and share your thoughts
- Labs done in office
- Co-care with an obstetrician if desired
- Birth in your own way, your own time, and in your own place
- Waterbirth-pools are available
- Postpartum Follow-up: 3-5 visits and as required or desired with pap offered at 6 weeks
- Pulse Oximetry Screening
- Newborn Metabolic Screening
- Breastfeeding Support –Certified Breastfeeding Counselor
- Well-woman care (breast exam instruction, routine pap, std testing)
- Referrals for any abnormal finding
- Natural family planning information and aids
- Available to answer questions
Your first visit is a free consultation. Questions to ask whoever youʼre interviewing might include:
- How long have you been certified?
- How many births do you accept in a month?
- How many births have you attended since becoming a licensed midwife?
- Losses? Transports?
- Who will attend my birth if you are unable to attend?
- Who assists the midwife?
- What happens in case of an emergency and transport to hospital becomes necessary?
- Any question which might help define style, philosophy, personality, etc.
- Midwifery fees? Other fees?
Prenatal care usually begins as soon as you know youʼre pregnant. Visits are an hour which gives time for nutritional counseling, physical exam, lab recommendations, education and questions. My office is in my home and very child friendly. Later in pregnancy, we will also visit at your home and provide the birth kit so all is in readiness. Labor-we will come to your home and monitor the safety of both you and your baby as unobtrusively as possible as well as offering encouragement, suggestions, massage etc. if needed or desired. I also have La Bassine labor pools to rent. Postpartum care is extensive in order to support you and your family during this profound transition. We will visit at your home at about 24 hours and again between day 3-5, and at about 1 week. We see you in office at 3 weeks and 6 weeks and really anytime you might need us. Visits include physical exam, breastfeeding counseling, and standard labs.
“The greatest joy is to become a mother;
The second greatest is to be a midwife.” – Norwegian proverb
If you have insurance, please bring your card with you at your initial interview. Sadly, AHCCCS does not pay for services at this time. I believe that everyone who desires midwifery care should be able to receive it. If you truly desire a homebirth and finances are an issue, please discuss it with me. Sometimes other arrangements can be made.